Lion Tattoo meaning – one of the primary meanings of the lion tattoo is strength. That’s why some people have heart of a lion tattoos. Most important, being named the king of the jungle for a long period of time, the lion tattoo is also related to bravery. Other meanings of the lion tattoo: wisdom, justice (like a libra sign), authority (again, because he is a strong animal), war related, etc. It’s also related to courage, being proud and ferocity. Here are a couple of lion tatto pictures for you:
Lion Tattoo Symbolism:
- like I said before, a lion is a violent animal. Yet a strong one. That’s why, in most cultures and religions, lions were associated to gods. In the Egyptian mythology the Eye of Ra Goddess used to be represented by a lioness. It used to represent authority and protection – that’s why a lion tattoo represents authority and protection. Like the caduceus symbol. Or maybe like the hamsa hand?
- Hinduism symbolism of the lion – the lion was an avatar of the God Vishnu. One of his avatars was Narasimha, which was half lion, half man. One of the main meanings of this god was “Great Protection”. So, having such a lion avatar/tattoo on your body can also mean protection (for your family, for your children, for your friends, etc).
- It was also used as a nickname for medieval warriors. This means that the lion tattoo also means bravery (those warriors were brave enough, yet people related them to real lions). A couple of examples: Henry the Lion, William the Lion and many others.
- The lion symbol is also present in the Greek mythology: meet Nemean lion.
- Lion of Judah – the lion symbol is also related to Tribe of Judah.
But, enough history, do you need some pictures of lion tattoo? We found some awesome ones:
Lion Tattoo Placement ideas – on your chest, on your arms (especially for men), on your finger (but it should be a small lion), on your upper back and many other locations. One other idea – make sure to give a look to celebrities. See where those celebrities get the tattoos and get more ideas. Cool, right? Here is another picture for your next lion tattoo: