Dolphin Tattoo meaning – dolphin have a lot of meanings, but here are just a few of them: intelligence (do you know that the dolphin is one of the most intelligent animals on Earth?), friendly (like penguins), freedom (all see creatures are free – just like a dandelion), messengers (also for Poseidon – God of the sea), affection and love (Cupidon himself was riding a dolphin. Or Zeus?), protection (like the caduceus/hamsa hand), peace, noble (like a bear) and sociable (like a turtle). Do you need some pictures?
What does dolphin symbolize?
- Greek mythology: do you know the dolphins were messengers of the God? They were the messengers of Poseidon – God of the Sea. Not only that, but dolphins were helpers for Greek people too. I am sure they were a symbol of good luck. Do you know that dolphins were sacred/related even to Aphrodite (along with the dove and many more). The dolphin is also related with Apollo – he was also related with the raven, snakes and others. His father was Zeus. Like Cupidon, Eros was also shown riding a dolphin. He (Dionysus) turned people into dolphins.
- Roman mythology: Neptune God (related to Poseidon from the Greek mythology) was also related to dolphins. Cupidon was also interested in dolphins. He was shown riding a dolphin.
- Hindu mythology: Makara (a Hindu Goddess) was represented by a dolphin. She was somehow a water monster or some sort of hybrid.
- Celtic culture: dolphins were always connected to the Celtic culture.
- Maori Dolphin: if you want to read a lot more about the Maori/Maui’s dolphin, here. Do you know they are the smallest dolphins in the world? They are also very sociable.
Need some pictures for your next tattoo?
Famous People with dolphin tattoos – Ben Affleck (he has a dolphin tattoo on his lower back. He is an actor), Samantha Cameron (she has a dolphin tattoo on her ankle. She is the wife of David Cameron). Do you know more famous people with dolphin tattoos?
Some more pictures:
Dolphin Tattoo Placement ideas – on your ankle (like Samantha Cameron), on your lower back (like Ben Affleck), on your shoulder (what do you think about this guy?), behind your ear. You can place it where you want. No need to worry about traditions or symbolism. The whole thing about tattoos is to do whatever you want/feel – is your own body.